Determination of Dangerous Substances in Turkey’s Surface Water Resources in 3 Pilot Basin
The main objective of the project is to produce necessary information for the implementation of European Union Water Framework Directive to Turkey.
The project covers determination of all of the dangerous substances in water bodies of Turkey, covered in the related regulations, lists and reports, as well as capacity reports of the companies prepared by Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkey. Following the constitution of first candidate list of chemicals, substances were evaluated by a risk assessment approach, which was based on affect and exposure assessment. Sector specific dangerous substances inventory was created by investigating raw materials, auxiliary substances and chemicals used in the production processes through conducting surveys.
The project also covers monitoring water bodies, municipal and industrial wastewaters periodically, considering the final list of the dangerous substances. Determination of Environmental Quality Standards which will be the base for the discharge standards in the upcoming period is also one of the objectives of the project. Dangerous Substances Information System, which brings all the information generated in this project and geographical information together, was created.
- Constituting candidate dangerous substances list of Turkey.
- Determination of final dangerous substance list of Turkey by applying risk assessment methods.
- Creating sector specific dangerous substances inventory by investigating raw materials, auxiliary substances and chemicals used in the production processes.
- Monitoring periodically water bodies, municipal and industrial wastewaters, considering the final list of the dangerous substances.
- Determination of Environmental Quality Standards. Creating a web-based Dangerous Substances Information System